60(ish) Seconds of Hell!

This one second scene has been a disaster from start to finish, but also the scene that has probably taught me the most. The idea is that the background in the final scene is not the one from the original shot, as the portal shots were filmed in a different location. The first time I filmed it I used a blue screen, but I filmed from the wrong angle and had to re-shoot. It took a while before I had a similar type of day, and when I did, I had a very limited time to film. This meant I then rushed the filming and made a few mistakes. I didn’t use a blue screen this time, and failed to use a tripod, so the scene was a bit shaky.

I still wanted the wall at a different angle to what I had filmed, so I made it a 3D layer and rotated it to the correct position. I then spent a lot of time rotoscoping around the wall and boy and placed the correct scene behind it. This is when I realised that I should have added a stabilizer effect to the scene, as the background was now staying still, while the foreground moved! Adding this effect after messed up the mask, so instead I decided to track the camera movement, and make the background scene follow it.

Rotoscoping around the hair was proving to be difficult, as the hair and the background was very similar in colour and the hair was also moving a fair bit. I discovered that if I shrank the mask and increased the feather, the hair worked a lot better, but this then didn’t look as good for the T-shirt! At this point I decided to add a seperate mask for the hair and set about rotoscoping it again.

This was then the time that After Effects froze, and managed to corrupt my save file! Luckily I had an auto save file from the previous day, so I only lost about 3 hours work, rather than the whole thing. It did mean that I had to start rotoscoping the hair yet again though!

Overall, I have spent way too much time on this very short scene, but it has greatly improved my rotoscoping skills with all the practice. The final result is ok, but I hope to get a chance to improve it still before submission. I have learnt (as has already been mentioned in the lectures) that filming correctly at the start saves a lot of time and effort later. If I had shot the scene correctly in the first place, I would have been done with this scene a lot sooner, and probably with a better result. I have also learnt the hard way how important it is to keep multiple saves of my work, and have also changed the auto save setting to save much more frequently than I originally had set.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s